June 29th, 2014
Since my baby daughter was born, I haven’t had much time to knit. But there is one garment which I really would like to make for her to wear this winter and that is my Cable Yoke Jacket.
Baby Cable Yoke Jacket was originally designed for my baby nephew years ago. All babies need to be warm and comfortable and mums love to dress their babies in practical, but adorable, outfits!
– Horizontal cable design on yoke creates an beautifully ‘realistic’ three-dimensional pattern
– Garter stitch border on hood and hems add sweetness ðŸ˜‰
– Cute flat-top hood to protect baby’s neck from cold air currents, whether worn up or down
– Natural wooden toggle and buttonhole fastenings make it easy to button and unbutton jacket on a wriggling baby!
This Cotton & Cloud exclusive Baby Cable Yoke Jacket knitting pattern design uses Jamieson’s of Shetland Heather (100% pure, Shetland Aran wool). This is a super warm yarn that’s perfect for keeping babies warm in the cold weather.
This is how the Baby Cable Yoke Jacket is constructed:
1 ) Cable-yoke knitted first, using ‘wrap & turn’ short-row technique to create curvature (See my Step-by-Step Tutorial here)
2) Body and hood worked top down and bottom up respectively
3) Body and hood worked in flat knitting, but on circular needles to accommodate the curve of the garment and the large number of stitches.
4) Sleeves worked in the round using double-pointed needles, but you can also use the Magic Loop method if you are confident
5) Garter edging worked in the round
1. Never, ever skip the swatching!
2. Be careful not to knit the cable too tightly.
3. Block the cables separately at first, by applying gentle steam, to make it easy to block the entire garment at the end.
These are some of the Feedback extracts from the knitters and I am always so thrilled to see the newly knitted Baby Cable Yoke Jacket on Ravelry!
• Comfortable, attractive and practical, but simple enough for all skill levels
• Aran-weight yarn knits up quickly!
• Mums and grandma’s who enjoy knitting in the summer have warm jackets ready for their favourite little ones when winter arrives
• It looks adorable on every baby, (we love receiving your baby photos!) making it a very popular choice for ‘gift-knitters’
I have knitted this many times for my friends’ babies in the past and now it’s time for my own! ðŸ˜€
Responses to “Baby Cable Yoke Jacket”
Jo 06/29/14 at 9:19 pm
I don’t know how I can have missed this but at least my niece hasn’t grown too big yet for this pattern. It doesn’t seem five minutes since she was born but come September she’ll be off to school. This jacket will make the perfect autumn birthday present for her. 🙂
Kyoko 07/01/14 at 9:50 pm
I totally know what you mean. My daughter is growing so fast and I can’t believe 2 months has passed already. By the time I know it she is also be going to school!
Mim 06/30/14 at 9:46 am
I look forward to seeing photos of your baby in her new jacket. I bet she will look gorgeous!
Kyoko 07/01/14 at 9:49 pm
Can’t wait to dress her in my knitwear! Hehe, if I start it now, should finish by winter ðŸ˜‰
Bekah 06/30/14 at 1:10 pm
Such a cute jacket!
Kyoko 07/01/14 at 9:48 pm
Thank you Bekah! ðŸ˜€
nursenikkiknits 06/30/14 at 2:59 pm
This Jacket is my very favourite knitted item that I have made for my daughter. She has gotten at least 18 months wear out of it. It is a lovely and very wearable piece. It is definitely one I will be keeping to pass down to the next generation one day.
Kyoko 07/01/14 at 9:48 pm
Aww! So happy that you enjoyed knitting the jacket! Really made my day!
Thank you very much for the lovely comment!